Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Best Northwest Places Cookbook (Volume 1).
Make and share this Lopez Island Mussel Soup With Saffron and Cream recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups white wine (such as lopez island madeleine angevine)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 lbs mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 generous pinch saffron thread (preferably spanish, steeped for 15 minutes in 2 tablespoons warm water)
- 6 leaves spinach or 6 leaves sorrel, cut into fine ribbons, for garnish
- Combine the wine and garlic in a kettle over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels, cover, and steam until they begin to open, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer opened mussels to a bowl, using a slotted spoon.
- Continue steaming until all have opened, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Reserve the cooking liquid.
- As soon as the mussels are cool enough to handle, remove them from their shells and put them in the cooking liquid.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Add the saffron and its steeping liquid along with the mussels and their cooking liquid.
- Bring the soup to a gentle boil, and serve hot, garnishing each bowl with fine ribbons of spinach or sorrel.