Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
I'm posting this in response to a request from zoukncook. I comes from the wonderful book "Indonesian Regional Food and Cookery" by Sri Owen. Who also has book entirely on rice - highly recommended. Doubleday 1994. They are served with satay, very cooling and refreshing.
- First make your bags, about 6 inches square!
- Fill each bag one third full with rice.
- Sew up the opening.
- Boil the water with a pinch of salt.
- When boiling, put in the bags of rice and let the water bubble gently for 75 minutes.
- Add more boiling water as required during the cooking; the bags of rice must always be submerged.
- When finished, take out the bags which are now like plump rather hard cushions and drain them in a colander.
- When they are cold, keep them in the fridge until they are to be eaten.
- To serve, just cut up the "cushions" into chunks or slices about 1 inch or a little more on a side. Use a large, sharp knife wetted with water.
- Discard the bags (Surfsider: I'd try re-using them ,why not?).