Recipe by Oolala
This is from The Long Island Holiday Cookbook published by Newsday Books and it was simply listed as "Brisket" so I changed the name a bit to distinguish it.
- 1 (2 ounce) package dry onion soup mix (Lipton)
- 4 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, with some leaves, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (4 -5 lb) beef brisket
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients together and put some in the bottom of a roasting pan that will fit the brisket.
- Put the brisket in the roasting pan, fat side up, and spoon some of the sauce on top of the meat.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 4 hours until the meat is fork tender.
- Remove the meat and slice against the grain.
- Serve with the sauce and rice.