Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was my Mother-in-law's recipe for pate. It is excellent. Everyone who tries it asks for the recipe. It is a bit time consuming because it needs to set for 2 days so we usually only make it for special occasions.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork fat (Cut into thin strips like bacon)
- 1 lb chicken liver, chopped (unless you can find duck or goose liver)
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ham, chopped finely
- 3 eggs
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup cognac (or Brandy)
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line earthenware casserole dish with pork fat.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pack in casserole.
- Cover with pork fat.
- Put in large deep pan and fill ¼ with water then insert pate dish.
- Place in oven for 3 hours.
- Take out and place heavy weight on top of pate and let cool. (We use a brick tightly wrapped in aluminum foil).
- Refrigerate for 2 days with weight on top.
- Serve with French bread rounds and/or your favorite crackers.