Recipe by californitexan
Modified from something I found on the web. Leave off the yogurt for a vegan version. Substitutions: Use any dark, leafy green in place of kale. Black beluga lentils in place of green French
- 2 cups French lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups kale, rinsed, deveined, finely chopped
- 1 pinch saffron (30-40 threads)
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan, add the lentils, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the saffron yogurt by combining the saffron threads and boiling water in a tiny cup. Let the saffron steep for a few minutes. Now stir the saffron along with the liquid into the yogurt. Mix in the salt and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat, then add the onion and salt and saute until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, and water and continue cooking for a few more minutes, letting the soup come back up to a simmer. Stir in the chopped greens, and wait another minute. Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with a dollop of the saffron yogurt.
- Leave off the yogurt and add a swirl of good olive oil for a vegan version.