Recipe by Vino Girl
The dough for the crust will need to be chilled for 30 minutes, so be sure to add that time in. From Taste of Home (February/March 2001)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1⁄3 cup pecan halves
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Gradually add water, tossing with fork until dough forms a ball.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minute
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Divide dough in half; roll each half into a 6" circle.
- Transfer to 2 (4 1/2 inch) tart pans; fit pastry into pans, trimming if necessary.
- Arrange pecans in pans.
- Mix egg, corn syrup, brown sugar and vanilla together; pour over pecans.
- Place tart pans on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Top with whipped or ice cream if desired.