Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've been thinking about this pie for a long time and when I saw 4 pound packages of strawberries for $4.99 at the store I knew today was the day! This is inspired by Yadda May's Strawberry Pie and Sugarless Apple Pie. You can also make the strawberry layer with 12 ounces of white grape juice concentrate and add food color. It's a little sweeter that way. I used 3 drops of the neon pink and 3 drops of red and got a really nice color.
- 1 quart strawberry, trimmed and quartered
- 12 ounces apple juice concentrate (I used apple-kiwi-strawberry but Zaar wouldn't allow that description)
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons white grape juice concentrate
- 1 pie crust, baked
- Mix strawberries through cornstarch and cook over medium heat, bringing to a boil then reducing heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Separately combine the softened cream cheese and grape juice concentrate in a food processor.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into an already-baked pie shell.
- Top with the cooked strawberry mixture.
- Chill before serving.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 ~ Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! I chose this recipe for Zingo as I found the recipe very interesting. I am used to doing placing uncooked strawberries in the pie but this is a very nice way to do it also. I made some fresh shortcrust pastry for this. The whole family really enjoyed this pie. Thanks for a lovely recipe :)
This was a really nice pie, the only problem I had was with the directions. It doesn't say when to use the 12oz of apple juice concentrate or when to add the pinch of salt. I figured it went with the strawberries. I used a graham cracker pie shell I had as that is what I prefer. Reviewed for ZWT4
Don't think I've ever had a strawberry pie where the strawberrys were actually cooked (well, other than a piece or two, ages ago, of strawberry/rhubarb pie)! This pie is WONDERFUL! I even managed to find the apple/kiwi/strawberry juice concentrate, so that was great! I did make this in a ready-to-bake pie crust, but another time would make my own! Thanks for your recipe! [Made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]