While I was in Lisbon for a few months on a study abroad program, my friend suggested a twist on our traditional Belgian pancakes: savory ones! Great for a fun lunch! Everyone can decide individually what goes on their pancake. The ingredients below are just a suggestion, but you can let your imagination run wild: spinach and goat cheese is great, or even smoked salmon and some sour cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
For the filling
- 1For the dough: Pour milk into pan over medium heat.
- 2Meanwhile, mix flour and eggs with a spatula.
- 3When milk is lukewarm, add to flour mixture bit by bit, stirring with a wire whisk until the dough is smooth.
- 4Stir in a pinch of salt.
- 5Ideally, cover with a clean dish towel and let rest for 30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare your filling ingredients. If you don't have time, there's no problem: you can just use the dough right away.
- 6For the filling: Fry onions until translucent.
- 7Meanwhile, dice and pit tomatoes and dice ham into one inch squares.
- 8Now for making the pancakes: In a pan, melt a pat of butter over high heat.
- 9Pour in one ladle of dough, turning the pan so the dough covers the bottom entirely.
- 10Turn heat down to medium.
- 11When the dough is no longer liquid, flip the pancake.
- 12Now place the filling ingredients you want (everyone can choose their own) onto one half of the pancake and sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Fold the pancake in half, pressing down on the edges to seal.
- 14Heat each side for another minute or so, and enjoy!
- 15Everyone can take turns making their personal pancakes, or you can make some in advance and reheat them shortly in a pan.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lisbon Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 841.9
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 224.7 mg
- Sodium 2285.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 35.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: