Recipe by JuniorMintKiss
Called picnic brownies because they are easy to stack and place in picnic basket.
Top Review by spooty3
These were very very good brownies. I made them almost exactly as written. (This also gave me a chance to finally use my brand-new Calphalon 9" round pans.) Since the two chocolate ingredients offer some options, I'll specify that the baking chocolate I used was "Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate squares", and the chocolate chips were the semi-sweet kind. I don't have a double-boiler, so I melted the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. The nuts I used were pecans; I used up some chopped ones I had on hand, plus I chopped up some pecan halves, to add up to 2/3 cup. I'm not very familiar with baking brownies from scratch, and at 25 minutes a "toothpick test" of the brownies seemed to indicate that the brownies weren't done yet, so they baked for a total of 27 minutes. After cooling and cutting, it seemed to me that maybe 25 minutes would have been enough after all. I only ate half of the brownies (over 4 days), and gave the other half to a neighbor - she said she thought they were very good too. I highly recommend this recipe, and I hope to make it again soon.
- 4 ounces baking chocolate
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts or 2⁄3 cup pecans or 2⁄3 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9-inch round pans.
- In top of double boiler or microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter.
- In medium bowl, mix sugar, vanilla, and salt; add to melted chocolate mixture and blend well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and mix well.
- Divide batter equally into prepared pans. Spread evenly and sprinkle top of each with chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 minutes (do not overbake). Allow to cool completely before cutting. Run a thin knife between pan and brownies and turn upside down. You may need to shake hard to release brownies from pan. Cut brownies into 8 pie-shaped pieces. Makes 16 brownies.