Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Called picnic brownies because they are easy to stack and place in picnic basket.
Make and share this Lion House Picnic Brownies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9-inch round pans.
- In top of double boiler or microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter.
- In medium bowl, mix sugar, vanilla, and salt; add to melted chocolate mixture and blend well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and mix well.
- Divide batter equally into prepared pans. Spread evenly and sprinkle top of each with chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 minutes (do not overbake). Allow to cool completely before cutting. Run a thin knife between pan and brownies and turn upside down. You may need to shake hard to release brownies from pan. Cut brownies into 8 pie-shaped pieces. Makes 16 brownies.
These were very very good brownies. I made them almost exactly as written. (This also gave me a chance to finally use my brand-new Calphalon 9" round pans.) Since the two chocolate ingredients offer some options, I'll specify that the baking chocolate I used was "Baker's unsweetened baking chocolate squares", and the chocolate chips were the semi-sweet kind. I don't have a double-boiler, so I melted the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. The nuts I used were pecans; I used up some chopped ones I had on hand, plus I chopped up some pecan halves, to add up to 2/3 cup. I'm not very familiar with baking brownies from scratch, and at 25 minutes a "toothpick test" of the brownies seemed to indicate that the brownies weren't done yet, so they baked for a total of 27 minutes. After cooling and cutting, it seemed to me that maybe 25 minutes would have been enough after all. I only ate half of the brownies (over 4 days), and gave the other half to a neighbor - she said she thought they were very good too. I highly recommend this recipe, and I hope to make it again soon.
Yummy!! These brownies are relatively easy to make and absolutely delicious. Just the right amount of chocolate. I used semi sweet baking chocolate, because you didn't specify and left out the nuts (my family won't touch anything with nuts). I did have to bake mine for 33 minutes, they were still completely raw at 25. Thanks for the tasty recipe.