1/1 Photo of Linguine 'il Trittico'
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Made this tonight and wow, I impressed myself:D Just like Puccini's opera 'Il Trittico' this unusual dish is made of three main parts. Cointreau-spiked caramelized onions and sweet oranges are complemented by the slightly tart dried apricots to create a multilayered flavor. Nuts and parmesan complement the tart and sweet tastes. Really delicious! From the Opera Lover's Cookbook by food historian Francine Segan. Found on the NPR website. I can now proudly announce that in fact I saw Il Trittico at Lincoln Center.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces linguine
- 1 large purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Cointreau liqueur (orange liqueur)
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
- 8 -10 dried apricots or 8 -10 fresh apricots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place almonds on a cookie sheet. Toast for 5-10 minutes until a bit brown and crunchy.
- 2Cook linquine in salted water according to package directions.
- 3Meanwhile, saute the onion in the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 4Carefully add the Cointreau and simmer until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- 5Add 1/2 cup of the orange juice, the apricots and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- 6Slowly add the remaining orange juice and simmer until the sauce turns golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in candied orange peel if using, and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- 7Toss the sauce with the drained linquine and top with nutmeg, parmesan and almonds. Garnish with the zest.
You Might Also Like...View All Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linguine 'il Trittico'
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.4
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.6 mg
- Sodium 200.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 20.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of