Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a little different from some of the other peppermint bark recipes I saw on Zaar. I've been making it for years and always get compliments on the peppermint and chocolate ratio. The peppermint is not over powering. You can certainly add more peppermint extract if you like more peppermint flavor. It looks like a lot of steps but this is supper easy to make. Cooking time is chilling or sitting time.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag white vanilla chips
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 peppermint candy canes, plastic wrapper removed
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; about 11x17 size pan, depending on desired thickness of candy.
- Place peppermint candy in heavy duty plastic food storage bag. Crush candies using kitchen mallet. Set crushed candy aside.
- Microwave white chips in medium, uncovered, bowl for about 1 minute; stir. The chips may still hold there shape but should smooth when stirred. If needed, microwave an additional 10 - 15 seconds until chips are melted.
- Stir 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract into melted white chips.
- Spread melted white chips on prepared baking sheet. Let stand for 2 - 5 minutes. Don't let the white chocolate sit too long or the dark chocolate will not stick to it very well and the finished product will taste good but not be as pretty.
- Microwave semi-sweet chocolate chips in medium, uncovered, bowl for about 1 minute; stir. The chips may still hold there shape but should smooth when stirred. If needed, microwave an additional 10 - 15 seconds until chips are melted.
- Hold a small to medium strainer over the melted semi-sweet chocolate and pour crushed peppermint candy into strainer. Shake strainer to release all the smaller peppermint candy pieces; save the larger pieces of candy for sprinkling on top.
- Pour melted semi-sweet chocolate on top of melted white chips and spread until desired thickness. If you want a layered effect spread carefully to not mix the chocolates. If you want a marbled or swirled effect then stir it up a little or swirl the spatulal standing up over the two layers of chocolate.
- Sprinkle the reserved peppermint candy pieces on top; press or pat lightly into chocolate.
- Let cool until hardened; you can place in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Once cooled, break into desired sized pieces and enjoy.