Recipe by Drexel Hill Gang
I have made this with both high proof vodka and grain. I always get better results (taste and color) with grain. This is a fun project to make with your wife or drinking buddies.
- 12 -14 high-quality thick skinned unblemished lemons
- 1 liter grain alcohol
- 5 cups water (spring)
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lemons with new scrub pad and baking soda to remove wax and outside elements.
- Dry lemons.
- Peel off lemon rind in thin strips. There should be no white pith attached to the strips. Vegetable peeler works best.
- In a GLASS 1 gallon container add alcohol and lemon strips.
- Let steep in refrigerator for 7 days.
- Bring 5 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add sugar and mix well to make a simple syrup. Let cool.
- Blend syrup and alcohol/lemon mixture together. Strain the peels and pour liquid into glass bottle(s).
- Store in freezer. It would be best to cure for at least 2 more weeks or more for a smoother flavor.
- Serve icy cold (frozen shot glass) direclty from freezer.
- This makes about 2 quarts.