Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A simple tea loaf. Refreshing change from the usual lemon flavour.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lime, rind of, grated
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and coconut extract.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
- Blend in buttermilk.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add lime rind and stir until just moistened.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and bake about 35 minutes until it tests done.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes then glaze immediately.
- GLAZE: Combine lime juice, coconut extract and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved, brush over hot cake until all is asborbed.