Recipe by Salt in SF,CA
from "Fresh Indian"-Sunil Vijayakar publisher Hamlyn "Potatoes and zucchini are a classic combination in Indian cooking, and the addition of zingy lime juice and fragrant fresh herbs really sets them off. This dish is particularly good served with Indian bread for scooping up the spiced potatoes.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, cut into thick matchsticks and boiled until soft
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 zucchini, cut into thick matchsticks and boiled
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, juice and finely grated zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick wok or frying pan and add the onion. Stir-fry over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until softed.
- Add the cumin seeds, garlic, ginger and turmeric. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes and then add the potatoes and the water. Cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes. then stir in the zucchini, tomatoes and garam masala. Stir and cook on high for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat, and stir in the chopped herbs and the lime zest and juice. Season well and serve immediately.