Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe uses all fresh ingredients and is perfect if you are craving a Mexican style dish! This makes six servings, so it works well if you want leftovers.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb chicken
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans
- 1 large chopped white onion
- 1 medium chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 medium chopped poblano peppers
- 1 diced organic tomatoes
- 2 limes, juice of
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups organic sodium-free chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Boil the chicken until cooked, then remove from the water and shred the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Drain and rinse the beans and set aside for later.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the chopped peppers, celery, onions, and garlic in the olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Add cumin, coriander, and chili powder, and saute for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock, beans, lime juice from 2 limes, and chopped tomato.
- Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Make sure the beans do not burn!
- Season with any additional spices as needed.
- Stir in the chicken and cilantro and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips and lime wedges!