Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is from the show Sweet Dreams on Food Network. I got it off of their website...haven't tried it, but it looks good.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus more for the pan (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, plus more for the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Butter and flour a straight-walled 10-inch tube pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to mix well. Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat until incorporated.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Reduce the mixer's speed to low. Alternately add the flour and milk mixture until a smooth batter is formed. Continue mixing for 5 minutes. (It's important to mix for the full 5 minutes.)
- Transfer 1/3 of the batter to a bowl and whisk in the cocoa powder. Stir the coconut into the remaining batter.
- Pour the coconut batter into the pan; then spoon the chocolate batter around. Run a knife through the batter, cutting the batters together to create a marbled effect. (Do not stir.) Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan. Invert the cake onto a stand or plate, slice, and serve.
really simple cake. came out great and was a huge hit at the birthday party!