Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love gingerbread and this is my favourite. It's moist and plump with blueberries. The recipe is from The Grass Roots Cookbook (Great American Recipes from Kitchens across the land)...by Jean Anderson
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed, stemmed and dried
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt, set aside.
- Cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg.
- Add add the sifted ingredients alternating with the soda-buttermilk mixture.
- Always begin and end with dry.
- Stir in molasses, then fold in the blueberries gently.
- Spoon batter into well greased and floured 9 x 9 x 2" pan.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45- 50 minutes.
Absolutely love this blueberry gingerbread! Gingerbread is one of my favorite desserts and the blueberries add a special treat. This recipe will definitely be on my short list of baking choices now and during the holidays. So good with a cup of coffee or tea -- your choice! Actually good as a night time snack with a some milk as well. Made for Everyday is a Holiday, October, 2012.
BK, this is a lovely, lovely loaf of gingerbread! It has a very subtle gingery and cinnamony flavour, which I like a lot! The blueberries add such a great taste to it with all their fruity sweetness. What a perfect addition! Following Annacia's lead I didnt sugar the top either, but Im sure it would have been lovely that way as well. By accident I forgot to put in the egg (yes, I am a goofball sometimes) and thats why my bread looks a little bit sunken I presume, but taste and texture were still FABULOUS! It was gooey inside with a crunchy crust. Mmmmm! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this true gem of a recipe with us! I cant wait to make it again! This is a gingerbread for all seasons. Made and reviewed for 1-2-3-Hit Wonders August 09.
Thank you Gerry for a great recipe for this time of year. It made my house smell so yummy. I love gingerbread anything and so I knew this would not fail. I especially love the addition of buttermilk for moistness. I followed the advice of a previous reviewer and made this a little more healthier by subbing 1/2 cup Splenda instead of a full cup of sugar. Also, used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup applesauce. Perfect.~ Made for Phototag~!