Recipe by Baby Kato
I love gingerbread and this is my favourite. It's moist and plump with blueberries. The recipe is from The Grass Roots Cookbook (Great American Recipes from Kitchens across the land)...by Jean Anderson
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Absolutely love this blueberry gingerbread! Gingerbread is one of my favorite desserts and the blueberries add a special treat. This recipe will definitely be on my short list of baking choices now and during the holidays. So good with a cup of coffee or tea -- your choice! Actually good as a night time snack with a some milk as well. Made for Everyday is a Holiday, October, 2012.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed, stemmed and dried
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt, set aside.
- Cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg.
- Add add the sifted ingredients alternating with the soda-buttermilk mixture.
- Always begin and end with dry.
- Stir in molasses, then fold in the blueberries gently.
- Spoon batter into well greased and floured 9 x 9 x 2" pan.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45- 50 minutes.