Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is a moist flavorful bread that combines the great taste and healthy benefits of zucchini and bananas. I received this recipe from my aunt Ann. This makes 2 loaves
Top Review by Minnesotan Overseas
I LOVE this recipe. I don't know how anyone can say it's "flat and bland"! I cut extra sugar out of recipes as much as possible and also almost always substitute whole-meal flour in all baking to decrease sugar/calories/carbs and bump up the whole-grain/fiber content. So, I used half sugar and half Zylitol instead of all sugar (and I decided that I can probably cut the total down to a half-cup (instead of 3/4 c.) for 1 loaf. I also eliminated the vanilla. I love that this recipe has so little oil. My "tried & true" banana bread recipe uses a full stick of butter for one loaf! I also love that this turned out so moist; I didn't have to play the game of slightly undercooking it, which always left the top of the mid-section mushy (with my old recipe). And I found this to be wonderfully flavorful. THANKS for the new, improved, and healthier banana bread recipe for my book!
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs.
- Add sugar, oil, applesauce and bananas.
- Mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir into wet mixture just until moistened.
- Add zucchini and nuts.
- Pour into 2 greased 9X5 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.