1/2 Photos of Lighter Macaroni and Cheese
I found this recipe in the Low-Fat cookbook published by Cook's Illustrated. I used, as was recommended by the cookbook, Cabot brand 50% cheddar. The cheese looked pretty white, but the final recipe had a yellow tinge. This cheese is sold in block form. Block low-fat cheese generally melt better than pre-shredded low-fat cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil with about 2 teaspoons of salt.
- 2Add macaroni and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes.
- 3Drain and set aside.
- 4In same pot, add evaporated milk, salt, mustard, garlic, and 1/2 cup milk.
- 5Bring to a boil and then simmer about 2 minutes.
- 6Combine 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch.
- 7Add to saucepan.
- 8Simmer about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 9Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir until cheese is melted.
- 10Add macaroni and let sit for about 5 minutes until thickened.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.8
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 24.8 mg
- Sodium 325.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: