Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in the Low-Fat cookbook published by Cook's Illustrated. I used, as was recommended by the cookbook, Cabot brand 50% cheddar. The cheese looked pretty white, but the final recipe had a yellow tinge. This cheese is sold in block form. Block low-fat cheese generally melt better than pre-shredded low-fat cheese.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (reduced fat)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk (divided)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cheese, shredded (about two cups)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with about 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Add macaroni and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In same pot, add evaporated milk, salt, mustard, garlic, and 1/2 cup milk.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer about 2 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch.
- Add to saucepan.
- Simmer about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add macaroni and let sit for about 5 minutes until thickened.
This was very good! I think I used a colby jack cheese. I grabbed the first one out of the freezer. I do think there was a bit too much sauce for the amount of pasta called for. Other than that, I think it was delish! This was made for PAC 2008.