Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
classic thanksgiving dish, this replaces the heavy in fat cream of mushroom soup version. Ok, this is my recipe. I made it for Thanksgiving 2002 and I was also extremely disappointed. I originally got it from Cooking Light, and made it a few years ago. I loved it back then, but this year it just didn't work. Not sure what is wrong...
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup lowfat swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesfrozen French style green beans, thawed drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 teaspoons margarine, melted
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- coat medium saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot.
- add onion, saute 5 min.
- add flour, and cook 1 min, stirring constantly.
- gradually add the milk, stirring until blended.
- stir in the cheese, sour cream, sugar and salt, cook 5 min until thick and bubbly.
- place green beans in an 8 in square baking dish, pour sauce over.
- combine stuffing mix, margarine and egg white; and sprinkle over green beans.
- bake at 350 for 25 min.
I know that I did something wrong! The flavor was there but it was too "Gooey". Firstly I used fresh frenched beans instead of frozen. I think this took away some of the added moisture that would thin the cheese/onion sauce. I'll try again!
Very disappointed. mushy, not tasty. frozen green beans were just lying there.
I love this recipe and make it every year for Thanksgiving!