Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cuisine at Home
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 8 ounces bulk Italian turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup neufchatel cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over med-high heat.
- Add turkey breast and sausage, breaking into smaller chunks; cook until browned.
- Process onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in a food processor until minced; add to browned meat.
- Cook vegetables until softened, 5 minutes.
- Process cottage cheese in food processor until smooth, 2 minutes.
- Stir into meat mixture.
- Stir in tomato paste, cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, wine, vinegar, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper flakes.
- Decrease heat to med-low; simmer sauce 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the neufchatel, stirring until melted, then stir in parsley.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.