Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Light, luscious and perfect for a hot summer evening. This dessert combines layers of store-bought angel food cake, 2 kinds of fruit, fluffy pudding and Cool Whip. Instead of strawberries, you could substitute whatever fruit is bursting with summer ripeness, such as peaches or blueberries. This dessert can be layered in a 9" baking dish, or for a nicer presentation, use a tall-sided trifle bowl. An added bonus is that this is a very low-fat dessert.
- 1 angel food cake, store-bought
- 1 (10 ounce) container frozen sweetened strawberries
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (could substitute brandy)
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, in juice
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 8 ounces Cool Whip Lite
- Get your three main ingredients prepared and then it's just a matter of assembly.
- First, thaw strawberries. Mash up any large chunks; mix in balsamic vinegar. You'll be dividing this for TWO layers. Set aside.
- Second, cut angel food cake into slices no more than 1" thick. You'll be dividing this for THREE layers, so try to get 18 slices.
- Third, just before assembly, mix UNdrained pineapple, dry pudding mix and 1/2 the thawed Cool Whip. You'll be dividing this for TWO layers. It will start to firm up as it sits, so you'll want to do your assembly as soon as this mixture is ready.
- Assembly: I use a 9" square glass baking dish. Arrange angel food slices, pineapple/pudding mix, strawberries. Repeat those three layers so now you have six layers. The next layer will be angel food cake. The top layer will be the remaining Cool Whip. Feel free to garnish with some fresh fruit.
- Chill in refrigerator several hours in order for the cake to absorb the moisture and flavor.
- If you have a clear glass trifle bowl, this dessert will be as delightful to look at as it is to eat!