Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A very easy, very fast cake to put together fwith things you have in the kitchen. The baking paper is really necessary for this one. Use any flavor jam you may need to use up.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 whole fruit jelly or jam
- Beat eggs until foamy, then beat in sugar.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and beat into egg mixture.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Grease a jelly roll pan, 17 by 11 inches.
- Spread with wax paper, grease paper, then sprinkle with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in oven preheated to 400 degrees until cake springs back when pressed with finger, 10 - 20 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto tea towel sprinkled with icing sugar.
- Roll up the shorter side, using towel to push cake into place, then unroll, trim off crisp edges, spread with jelly or jam, and roll up. Eat ends yourself.
- Let cool on rack.
- Ice with a chocolate butter icing if desired, I like it dusted with powdered sugar.
I think there may be too many eggs in it. I ended up throwing it out after one taste :(. It was funky.