Recipe by daaynish
From the "Best Recipe" cookbook by America's Test Kitchen. Fabulous pancakes like the ones in restaurants! Perfect basic recipe for embellishing
Top Review by sweetandwild
What a great recipe! I saw that some reviewers thought it was too doughy and not fluffy. Make sure to leave lumps in the batter. Also, I found no need to grease the pan because there was already melted butter in the batter. This is definitely my go-to recipe for pancakes!
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk milk and lemon juice in a medium bowl and set aside to let thicken.
- In a separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together - flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Whisk the egg and melted butter into the milk mixture.
- Create a little "well" in the center of dry ingredient bowl and pour the milky mixture in the center.
- Whisk gently until just combined, there should still be lumps.
- Heat a pan or griddle to medium heat and coat with butter or vegetable oil.
- Pour pancake mixture by 1/4 cups and heat until large bubbles come to the top (about 1-2 minutes).
- Flip the pancake and wait another 1-2 minutes.