Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this really great recipe for wheatless "matzoh" balls in an Israeli cooking magazine. This is a great recipe for those of us who have allergies or other problems with wheat.
- 2 lbs finely ground chicken
- 12 ounces finely ground almonds
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup water, as needed
- 5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup powder
- Mix the chicken breast, almonds, chives, sugar, salt and eggs.
- Add just enough water to form a very stiff batter (you will need to shape the"matzoh" balls from this batter).
- Boil the 5 cups of water with the chicken soup powder.
- As the water furiously boils, form balls from the batter and drop them into the soup.
- They will sink to the bottom and then rise to the top.
- Don't make the balls too large, they will really grow once they hit the soup.
- Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Serve in your favorite soup.
This was okay. Maybe I needed to eat real matzoh balls first for comparison. The balls did puff up nicely.