Recipe by Katha
Found this in an old light cooking book. Tried a few different things this was the result.
Top Review by Jenni D
Needs more sweetness, it's just a little to "flour like". I also found that the second round of bake time is a bit too short- i would go with 8-10 min. Other wise it's a bit too soft and not as snappy as biscotti should be. Good flavor and gives a great base for options.
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 4 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place almonds in a small pan.
- Bake about 6 minutes or until golden brown (watch carefully).
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat margarine and sugar in a medium bowl with a electric mixer until smooth.
- Add egg whites and almond extract; mix well.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a large bowl; mix well.
- Stir egg white mixture and almonds into flour mixture.
- Blend well.
- Spray two 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Divide dough evenly between the 2 pans.
- Spread dough in pans with wet fingers.
- Bake 15 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Turn on to a cutting board.
- Cool slightly.
- Once loaves are cool enough to handle cut each loaf in to 16 slices.
- Place slices on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Turn bake 5 minutes more or until golden.
- Serve warm or cool completely and store in air tight container.