Dienia B.'s Note:
From Libbie. This is an old recipe that her family likes. I made it; it is a little work but it tastes awesome.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in the top of a double boiler.
- 2Slowly add scalded milk to beaten egg yolks; stir into sugar mixture.
- 3Cook and stir in top of double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water until custard coats spoon.
- 4Remove from heat and add vanilla to 1 cup of the custard.
- 5Add the chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- 6Pour this mixture into the bottom of the baked and cooled pie shell; chill.
- 7Meanwhile soften gelatin in cold water; add remaining hot custard; stir until dissolved. Chill until slightly thick.
- 8Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- 9Fold in the custard gelatin mixture.
- 10Pile over chocolate layer; chill until set.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Libbie's Black Bottom Pie
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.5
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 122.0 mg
- Sodium 250.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 49.0 g
- Protein 10.8 g