Recipe by Enduring Gastronomy
A refreshing low-calorie wrap with flavorful filling of tofu, veggies, fruit, and nuts. This recipe refers to the Chile-Garlic Dipping Sauce recipte. Recommend using a chopper. (Eating Well, Spring 2003)
- 4 medium boston lettuce (or any 2 lettuce heads with big round leaves)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chile puree, with garlic (or 1/2 fresh Fresno red chile pepper, seeded and minced, and 1 clove garlic, minced)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup oyster mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packageflavored baked tofu (or on a plate, put firm tofu btwn towel paper, place another plate on top to squeeze water out for a)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup green apple, cored and finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup canned water chestnut, rinsed and finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the leaves to make "cups". Wash and pat dry.
- Make Chile-Garlic Dipping Sauce.
- Place cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk the chile puree with garlic and 1/4 cup of the dipping sauce. Set aside. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and tilt pan to coat it evenly.
- Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry until fragrant (~30 sec).
- Add mushrooms and tofu; stir-fry for 2 minute
- Add carrot, apple, and water chestnuts; stir-fry for 30 sec.
- Add the dipping sauce-cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are heated through and sauce has thickened (~2 min).
- Add cashews, sesame oil, and scallions; toss to combine.
- To assemple cups: Spoon about 2 Tbsp of filling into each lettuce cup.
- Serve with the remaining dipping sauce.