Recipe by dicentra
From Epicurious. I would serve this in the Fall/Winter with grilled meats or a roast.
- 1 1⁄2 cups ruby port
- 8 ounces small shallots, plus
- 1 large shallot, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils, rinsed, drained (about 12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine Port and small shallots in heavy medium saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat until shallots are tender and Port glazes shallots, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
- Set aside. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature.).
- Finely chop large shallot. Combine chopped shallot, drained lentils and 3 cups water in heavy large saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover sauce-pan and simmer until lentils are just tender, about 30 minutes.
- Rewarm Port mixture over medium-low heat. Stir oil and Port mixture into lentils.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer lentils to bowl and serve.