Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Ethiopian lentil dish. For a complete Ethiopian feast, make this dish with (other recipes from my book): - Cabbage of Ostracism - Tofu Dorowat (if you like tofu, or are accomodating a vegetarian... chicken otherwise) - Beef Stew in Berbere Sauce Making these four dishes together, you can: - Pick up one lg white onion and chop it finely. Split it four ways between the dishes. - Pick up one 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes and split it between the Dorowat and Beef Stew Start the beef early, then the dorowat. Then, do the lentils (assuming pre-cooked potatoes) and cabbage. Pick up some Enjera (that amazing yummy bread). Live in Calgary? Pick it up fresh at Amy's Confectionary on 7th between 11AM and 5PM. YUMM!!!
- 3 cups dried lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 large anaheim chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon berbere, spice (ie. from Victorian Epicure)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Boil the lentils in water for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid.
- In large pot, saute the anaheim pepper and onions in the butter until the onions are tender.
- Add the lentils, 6 cups of the reserved liquid (top up with water to make 6 cups), and the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, covered over M-L heat for 70 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Nice dish! I fudged my own berbere with a little help from some online recipies but i'm looking forward to buying some of the real thing. This dish doesn't stand well alone, make sure you serve it with one of the sides Rhonda has suggested.
Out of the Cabbage of Ostracism, Tofu Dorowat and this dish - the lentils were my favorite. The Anaheim chili really stood out, adding a fresh flavor to everything. I loved the spiciness and flavor. I also added a tsp of salt to this, which was fantastic. I also made my own berbere, since I'd never heard of it before this recipe and had most everything on hand. Thank you!