Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A deliciously filling pie loved by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Perfect for taking to picnics and potlucks or served with soup on a winters day. A pre baked bought pie crust can also be used. The pie crust works well with both wholewheat and half and half flour as it gives the crust more substance, however, white flour can be used if preferred. This pie can also be made without a crust on top. It works just as well, cuts down on fat and still looks and tastes delicious.
- 200 g flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 100 g butter, roughly chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large onion
- 50 g butter
- 175 g split red lentils
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 75 g grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Pie Crust:.
- put the flour, salt, butter and water into a food processor and blend just until dough forms. alternatively, rub the butter onto the dry ingredients in a bowl until mixture resembles breadcrumbs and mix in just enough water to make a dough.
- knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out two thirds, reserving the remainder for the top. Use it to line a 20cm quiche dish.
- roll remainder to fit the top of the dish and set aside.
- peel and chop the onion and fry in the butter in a large saucepan until golden. about 5 minutes.
- add the split peas and garlic and stir briefly before adding the stock.
- bring to boil and simmer for 20 mins until lentils are tender and pale golden.
- remove from heat and add the tomatoes, cheese, basil lemon juice and egg as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- mix and let cool.
- preheat oven to 200C or 400F.
- spread the lentil mixture into the pastry case and dampen the edges of the pie with a little water before placing the pastry top.
- press down lightly and brush the top with a little egg if desired. prick the top gently with a fork or cut slits in the top.
- bake pie in preheated oven for 40 mins until brown and crisp.