Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe for these Southwestern-flavored, lentil-stuffed peppers is featured in my new book, Schedule Me Skinny: Plan to Lose Weight and Keep it Off in Just 30 Minutes a Week -- and is one of my favorites because it helps me stick to #MeatlessMonday, one of my favorite healthy initiatives. Lentils, one of SELF's favorite superfoods, adds a hefty dose of fiber and protein to this meal, while the bell peppers gives a huge shot of vitamin C to your system -- three times that of an orange, in fact!
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup canned lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise and remove insides and seeds. Microwave on high 2 minutes to soften. Set aside.
- Combine lentils and salsa, then fill each bell pepper half with half of the mixture.
- Microwave another 2 minutes or until warmed through.
- Sprinkle each half evenly with cheese and microwave another 30 seconds or so until the cheese melts.