Recipe by winkki
Yet another lentil recipe from my 'must-fix' list. Originally from the "Lean, Luscious, and Meatless" Cookbook. I have never used the pimentos and usually add in some rosemary and thyme. I also typically use olive oil as I prefer the richer taste in this salad. Great with a green salad and loaf of bread for a full meal or as one of a variety of offerings on a salad bar or brunch. I tend to make up a batch of it and eat from it for several days, sometimes even in pita!
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, drained (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring lentils, water, and bay leaf to boil in med saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 25 min or until lentils are just beginning to soften.
- Drain and remove bay leaf.
- Combine with remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Chill several hrs or overnight; stir well.