Recipe by A Messy Cook
Lots of fresh vegetables, fiber-rich barley, and a flavorful dressing make this healthy salad great for a summer supper. Recipe is from Light and Tasty’s June/July 2005 issue: I intend to try it sometime soon! Cook time does not include cooking and cooling barley.
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 cup cut green beans
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup chopped spinach
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook barley according to package directions, drain, and cool completely.
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender, then drain and cool completely.
- In large bowl, combine cooled barley and beans along with remaining eight salad ingredients.
- In small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients together; pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.