Recipe by ruth in NJ
This comes from an old Sunset soup cookbook from 20 years ago. The cilantro and chard are a unique combination with the added lemon; I use vegetable boullion instead of beef...and no tomatoes!
Top Review by Glori-B
Just finished this for dinner. Delish! I made this pretty much as written except that I substituted carrots for the potatoes and added a couple of shots of hot sauce at the table. Thank you very much, ruth in NJ, for a great dinner!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs swiss chard
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 7 -8 cups water
- 4 vegetable bouillon cubes, 5 grams each
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red potatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain chard.
- Cut off and discard thickest part of stems,then stack leaves and cut cross-wise into 1/2-inch wide strips.
- Set aside.
- Coarsely chop cilantro and set aside.
- Rinse lentils, then drain.
- In a 5-quart pan, bring lentils, 7 cups water and bouillon to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in small iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden (15-20 minutes), adding finely chopped cilantro during the last
- five minutes of cooking.
- Set aside.
- Add potato to the lentil mixture and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in onion mixture and chard and continue simmering until veggies and lentils are tender to bite.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cumin, and lemon juice.
- If desired, thin soup with 1 cup more water.
- Makes 6 servings.