Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from Fleischmann's yeast company.
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus (70º to 80ºF)
- 2 tablespoons water (70º to 80ºF)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
SWEET SPICE BUTTER (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Measure all ingredients except Sweet Spice Butter into bread machine pan in the order that the bread machine manufacturer suggests.
- Process in basic cycle on lightest crust setting (or select medium crust setting based on your machine and preference for crust color).
- Remove baked bread from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Serve with Sweet Spice Butter, if desired.
- Sweet Spice Butter: In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine, 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Beat until smooth.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Delicious, tender, lemony bread with no distinct nutmeg taste! I doubled the poppy seeds, and added an additional tablespoon sugar, and the zest of three large lemons. Mixed in the ABM on the dough cycle; punched down the dough and shaped into a 8.5" metal loaf pan ~ second rise took 30 minutes ~ baked at 375F for 25 minutes. Made the Sweet Butter with one tablespoon lemon juice, but no nutmeg. This recipe would be good made as fan tan rolls ~ especially with the sweet butter icing! Lemon bread (or rolls) would be a nice compliment to chicken salad ~
This makes a lovely fluffy bread. Mine rose so much it pressed against the little glass window in the top of my breadmaker for the last hour of cooking! I didn't use the lemon rind as I didn't have any (I just use squeezy-juice lemon juice), but next time I would add it because it would be nicer with a bit more zest.