Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
YUM! This is a delicious quickbread with an intriguing (and tasty) twist! The tahini adds a rich source of protein and a distinctly nutty flavor to this hearty bread. If you don't have sunflower oil, vegetable oil will do.
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of (1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In blender, grind flax seeds to a fine powder. Add 1/3 cup water and blend until frothy. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, comnine oil, tahini, and sugar. Beat with electric mixer on medium until blended.
- Beat in reserved flax mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet mixture, beating at low speed until smooth. Beat in soy milk, lemon juice, and peel. Fold in sunflower seeds and raisins until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds evenly over top. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert loaf onto rack and cool completely before slicing and serving.
This had a little too much tahini flavor which overpowered the lemon. The texture is good. The ingredient list isn't in order of instructions, so had to jump around a lot. With some tweaking, this might get a higher review. Sorry.