Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from the cookbook, Bake Shop in a Book. Since I lOVE everything lemon, here it is! Ingredients for your particular cake mix are not included in the ingredients list. Time includes baking time for cake.
- 1 (18 ounce) package lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs, adjust per box directions
- 1⁄4 cup oil, adjust per box directions
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagecooked lemon pudding mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, adjust per box directions for pie filling
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- You will also need ingredients called for in cake pkg directions as directed in ingredients.
- Using two 8-inch round layer cake pans.
- Mix, bake and cool cake as directed on package.
- Cook lemon pudding and pie filling mix as directed for pie filling.
- Cool 30 minutes; stirring several times.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff but not dry.
- Split each cake layer into 2 thin layers.
- Place one cake layer on a cookie sheet or oven-proof plate.
- Spread 1/4 of the lemon pie filling over cake layer, top with a second cake layer and repeat with lemon pie filling.
- Continue in this manner until cake layers and pie filling are used up; ending with pie filling.
- Spread meringue around sides of cake.
- Bake for at 450ºF 5 minutes, or until light brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. Store cake in refrigerator.