1/2 Photos of Lemon Layer Cake With Pineapple Filling
1 hr 40 mins
A spectacular cake. More work than the ordinary but a lot can be done the day before. Make it for a special occasion and be prepared for raves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cups chopped fresh pineapple, cored and trimmed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1For cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Butter 3, 8-inch in diameter cake pans. Cut 3 parchment rounds to fit bottoms of pans and butter these too.
- 2Mix sour cream and soda in bowl and let stand 10 minutes.
- 3Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- 4Cream butter with sugar in a large bowl for 8 minutes, until very light and fluffy. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in juices, zest and sour cream mixture. Mix in dry ingredients in 3 additions.
- 5Beat whites in a medium bowl to soft peaks.
- 6Fold 1/4 of the whites into the cake batter to lighten and then gently fold in remaining whites.
- 7Divide batter among 3 prepared pans. Bake about 30 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Run small, sharp knife around sides to loosen. Turn out and cool completely.
- 8For syrup: Stir icing sugar and juice in small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to boil. Brush syrup over cakes (can be prepared 1 day ahead).
- 9For filling: Mix pineapple and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Add butter, sugar and salt. Stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, about 10 minutes. Cool, cover and refrigerate until well chilled (can be prepared 1 day ahead).
- 10For Lemon Whipped Cream Frosting (about 4 cups): Mince lemon zest with sugar in processor or mini-blender. Whip cream in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar.
- 11To assemble: Place 1 cake layer, syrup side up, on plate.
- 12Gently spread 1/2 of pineapple filling on top.
- 13Ice with 1/2 cup of frosting.
- 14Top with second layer and repeat.
- 15Top with third layer.
- 16Ice top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- 17Press coconut onto sides of cake (can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving).
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Layer Cake With Pineapple Filling
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 681.5
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 159.0 mg
- Sodium 562.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 52.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g