Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Another lemon bread recipe, which can be made entirely in the bread machine (and is thus, no longer a focaccia) or taken out as dough and hand-formed into the focaccia and baked in the oven. Note: the amount of yeast depends on the preparation, 2 teaspoons for machine or 1 tablespoon for the hand-formed loaf.
Top Review by mary winecoff
This was a great, easy focaccia. I would have loved to have more of a thyme taste (individual preference) so next time I plan to add more. Be careful....this browns up very quick. My boys loved dipping it into honey. Made for Photo Tag.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons yeast, for baked in bread machine or 1 tablespoon yeast, for hand-finished focaccia bread
- 1⁄3 cup honey, for focaccia, omit if finished in machine
- 1⁄3 cup honey, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- With all ingredients at room temperature, place in bread machine except the 1/3 cup honey. Program for Dough and start. After the final cycle, remove the dough to a lightly floured work surface.
- Use your hands to pat the dough into a 10-inch disk and place it on an oiled pizza pan or baking sheet. Allow the dough to rise 30 minutes and then use your finger to gently poke a dozen slight indentations around the top of it.
- Preheat the oven to 400F with the rack in the center position. Bake the focaccia for 12 minutes at 400F, then lower the temperature to 375°F Remove the focaccia and quickly drizzle the honey over the top:it should collect in the holes as well as drip over the entire surface. Continue baking an additional 12 - 14 minutes. If the top is getting too brown, cover it with a tent of foil (so as not to disturb the honey). Cut the focaccia into wedges and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with a dish of additional honey for dipping.