Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
In ' Slow Cooker' by Diane Phillips
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed in the palm of your hand
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- red pepper flakes (a pinch or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 lbs beef short ribs, fat trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- Mix the lemon zest, oil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Rub the mixture over the meat until it is well coated; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- Remove meat from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before sauteing.
- Heat a large skillet over med-high heat; add beef a few pieces at a time and saute until browned on all sides; remove the meat to the insert of a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker.
- Add the wine and beef broth to the skillet and scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the liquid to the slow cooker; cover and cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and cover with foil.
- Let meat rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Skim off any fat from the sauce, then taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the beef with the sauce spooned over the top.