Recipe by jean
A lemon cake made moist and rich with cream cheese and a lemon joice glaze. It's from an old Pillsbury cookbook.
Top Review by Amethyst42
Can't believe I haven't reviewed this cake yet, I've made it at least 3 times! Delicious! Like a couple of others, I slightly lowered the sugar content. I also double the glaze, I just can't get enough of it! So delish!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, rind of
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, blend cream cheese and shortening until creamy.
- Beat in 1 1/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add lemon peel, flour, baking powder, salt and milk.
- Blend at low speed just until thoroughly blended, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter into generously greased 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
- Bake 45-50 minutes .
- Combine lemon joice and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Pour over hot cake, allowing it to run down edges between cake and pan.
- Cool 30 minutes, then remove cake from pan.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.