Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Adding freshly grated lemon zest to the crust give these lemon-coconut bars a little extra lemony zing.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, powdered sugar, and lemon zest.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Press into a lightly buttered 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare the topping.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat with an electric mixer at low speed until thoroughly blended. Stir in coconut.
- Remove pan from oven and pour topping over the crust.
- Return pan to oven and bake 25 minutes longer.
- Cool; sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into 24 pieces.