This salad using a rotisserie chicken could be served over lettuce leaves or in a sandwich. It has less fat than many chicken salad recipes because yogurt replaces some of the Mayo. Recipe is from Sunset Magazine Dec. 2007
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 -3 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno chile
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat yogurt or 1⁄3 cup whole milk greek strained yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 4 cups shredded white and dark chicken meat (from one 2 1/2- to 3-lb. rotisserie chicken)
- chopped cashews
- Toast cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant over low heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Grind in a spice grinder and process until finely ground. Zest lemons and set aside zest. Juice 1 lemon and set aside 3 tablespoons juice.
- Melt butter in the frying pan over medium heat. Add ginger, jalapeño, and salt. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or until jalapeño is soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger-jalapeño mixture, and ground spices. Add cilantro, green onions, and chicken; stir to coat well with dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Sprinkle with cashews and serve.