Basil Cashew Chicken Salad
I love basil and chicken together, and chicken and cashew together, so it was natural to put it *all* together into this tasty sandwich filling!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cooked chicken breasts or 1 cup turkey breast, cut into chunks
- 1 cup cooked white rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods, Helmann's, or Vegenaise)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped roasted cashews
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Combine all ingredients; the filling tastes even better when it's had a chance to chill thoroughly, but often I eat it right away.
- Goes well on croissant or in a pita.
- Makes about 4 servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I have made this several times. The flavors blend so well together. The second time I made it I added a teaspoon of white wine vinegar. My family is not big on any dish made with rice, so the last time I made this I used half a package of bow-tie pasta which they really seemed to like. I for sure will be making this salad again. Thanks Julesong!
Wonderful blend of flavors! I was out of cashews so I toasted some almonds and it worked fine...will try it with cashews another time. My husband wasn't really in the mood for salad but after one bite he was very pleased and said "this one's a keeper". For our taste, we may cut back the basil just a bit. Thanks for a great recipe.
Jules, this recipe was delicious! I didn't have any "leftovers" on hand so I sautéed a few chicken breasts with a bit of olive oil and basil blended together and replaced the dried onion flakes with finely minced red onion. I served this salad on a bed of red and green Lollo Rosso lettuce garnished with whole red grapes, minced red onions, chopped cashews, and finely minced feta. It was just the right combination of salty, sweet and crunchy! Thank you for posting - I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed making (and eating) them. :)