Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Cook's Illustrated, September and October 2007
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Add oil to empty skilled used to cook chicken and return pan to low heat.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened,
- Add flour and cook stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, increase heat to medium high and bring to simmer, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits. Simmer rapidly until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in any accumulated chicken juices, and return to simmer and cook for 30 seconds.
- Turn off heat, and whisk in lemon juice, capers, parsley and butter, season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon over cutlets and serve immediately.