Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my mother in law's recipe. I made these for my annual Christmas Brunch and they turned out great! (Prep time and cook time do not include rising time.)
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 package lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling, prepared
- Soften yeast in warm water and 2 tsp sugar.
- Scald milk and pour over stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Add softened butter and egg yolks that have been beaten with sugar until thick and lemon colored.
- To this, add the yeast mixture and flour (about 5-6 cups)to form a soft dough.
- Let rise until light.
- Pinch off little pieces, rolling them into long strips about 8 inches long.
- Then form these strips into figure eights.
- Fill holes with lemon filling.
- Let rise again about 30 minutes and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until slightly golden in color.
- Dust with icing sugar or drizzle with icing just before serving.
- I have also made these with Blueberry Pie filling and they were delicious!
The flavor of these buns was great. The time rating on this recipe is not correct at all though. The whole process took almost 2 hours with both risings. It also took a whole lot more flour than listed. I used 7 cups (half white, half wheat) and then had to add some more when I rolled out the buns since the dough was too sticky to work with. The directions were not as clear as I would have liked for something I had never done before. For example, the directions keep saying to add things, but doesn't say if you were supposed to mix in between each addition, which I did. Everyone loved these buns and they rose superbly, so I will make them again. I just would have liked the directions to be more specific. Next time I want to try a cream cheese filling.