1/5 Photos of Lemon Blueberry Upside Down Cake
1 hr 15 mins
I could kiss Bobby Flay for coming up with this dessert recipe. I love the combination of blueberries and lemon. Trump that with a carmelized blueberry topping over a yummy white chocolate and coconut-flavored cake! Now you're talkin'! *Make sure to read through the recipe so you can have some ingredients at room temperature*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Lemon blueberry topping ingredients
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Cake batter ingredients
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped (Callebaut is preferred)
- 1Lemon Blueberry Topping:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3In a 9 inch round cake pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- 4Stir in the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 3-4 minutes.
- 5Remove the pan from the heat.
- 6Arrange the blueberries evenly over the brown sugar mixture.
- 7Scatter the lemon zest over the blueberries.
- 9Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 10In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer (you may do this in a stand mixer if you don't have a hand-held) set at medium speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- 11Add the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is light in texture, about 2-3 minutes.
- 12Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- 13Beat in the vanilla and white chocolate.
- 14On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture until just combined.
- 15Scrape down the bowl and beat in the coconut milk.
- 16Beat in the remaining flour mixture until combined.
- 17Spoon batter over the topping in the cake pan, spreading it evenly over the berries until they are completely covered.
- 18Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- 19Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 3 minutes.
- 20Run a knife around the edge of the cake to release it from the sides of the pan.
- 21Invert a serving plate over the cake and turn the cake out onto the plate.
- 22Let cool 30 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.3
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 99.6 mg
- Sodium 146.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 50.7 g
- Protein 4.8 g