Recipe by LifeIsGood
I could kiss Bobby Flay for coming up with this dessert recipe. I love the combination of blueberries and lemon. Trump that with a carmelized blueberry topping over a yummy white chocolate and coconut-flavored cake! Now you're talkin'! *Make sure to read through the recipe so you can have some ingredients at room temperature*
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
Wow! Great moist cake! It was pretty darn easy to make. I didn't have any white chocolate, but it is still a 5-star recipe. No problems flipping it out of the pan. (And for future bakers, the 1/2 cup coconut milk is the small 5.5 ounce can.)
Lemon blueberry topping ingredients
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Cake batter ingredients
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped (Callebaut is preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lemon Blueberry Topping:.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9 inch round cake pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture is smooth and bubbling, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Arrange the blueberries evenly over the brown sugar mixture.
- Scatter the lemon zest over the blueberries.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer (you may do this in a stand mixer if you don't have a hand-held) set at medium speed, beat the butter until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is light in texture, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla and white chocolate.
- On low speed, beat in half the flour mixture until just combined.
- Scrape down the bowl and beat in the coconut milk.
- Beat in the remaining flour mixture until combined.
- Spoon batter over the topping in the cake pan, spreading it evenly over the berries until they are completely covered.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 3 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake to release it from the sides of the pan.
- Invert a serving plate over the cake and turn the cake out onto the plate.
- Let cool 30 minutes before serving.