Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mama's recipe and my favorite dessert in childhood. A very light dessert to have after a large dinner. Oh, what memories!!!
- 1 (12 ounce) evaporated milk, chilled
- 1 (3 ounce) sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or Splenda)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Chill evaporated milk until icy.
- Dissolve jello in boiling water. Add sugar, salt, lemon juice and zest into jello. Cool and let congeal just slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, whip icy evaporated milk until stiff and doubled in size. Add to jello mixture in small amounts and beat well.
- Mix crumbs and melted butter. Press into a 9x9 inch pyrex dish.
- Pour mixture over crust and sprinkle with a few graham cracker crumbs.
- Refrigerate. Dessert is best overnight or after 6 hours.
- (Note: Preparation time does not include letting milk get icy.).
Not good. Too airy, texture of latte foam. Will not make again.
*****Amendment to my May 2008 review: It has been four years since I first discovered this wonderful recipe, and it is still the first that comes to mind when I think of a light, fluffy dessert to serve after a heavy meal. I have made and enjoyed it numerous times, and many people have either requested the recipe or for me to make it. As a matter of fact, my mother-in-law requested that I make it for Easter dinner. It's an A dessert every time! I just wanted to let you know how much my family and I appreciate your sharing this recipe!***** 2008 Review: What a light, heavenly dessert! I made this for our Mother's Day dinner, and everyone LOVED it. I was surprised how light it was and thought the lemon flavor was just right. I have never whipped evaporated milk before, so I didn't know how foamy and light it could be. What a wonderful alternative to heavy whipping cream! My family and I agreed this recipe is worth not only five stars but 10! I plan to use this recipe again with other flavors of JELL-O. Thanks for a keeper!
I've had this in my To Try cookbook since not too long after it was posted! Glad that I finally tried it. I made it without any crust, fat free evap milk and with Splenda for a lovely light and fluffy dessert in a dish instead of on a plate. I did also add 3 drops of lemon extract just to insure a rich lemony flavor. Two thumbs up. :D