Prep 3 hrs
Cook 55 mins
This recipe is posted by request, and was found on the net. No name was attached.
- 1 (5 lb) boneless leg of lamb
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, reserved
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup dried oregano
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the 1/2 cup lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Whisk well.
- Place lamb in a shallow baking dish and cover with marinade, turning to coat.
- Marinate for 3 hours or overnight, turning a few times.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove lamb and place on a roasting rack over a baking dish.
- Cook for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue cooking for another 40 minutes.
- Test for desired doneness.
- Remove lamb from oven, sprinkle reserved lemon juice over cooked meat, wrap in foil and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
This is a wonderful recipe. It's very easy to put together, the smells coming out of the kitchen while the lamb was cooking was terrific and it taste great. The lamb came out fork tender. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed this meal. My mother and I both agreed that the marinade would be great on a pork tenderloin too. We will both definitely be making this recipe again. Thanks for finding it and posting it to Zaar.
I found this same recipe on another website. In that one they use the 2 tablespoons of reserved lemon juice. Sprinkle it over the lamb just before you cover it loosely with foil.
It also said to check for an internal temp of 125 to 130 degrees, it will be medium-rare to medium after it is left to rest.
Hope this helps.
This was my first-ever time cooking lamb and it came out GREAT. I followed the recipe exactly as described, but put the lamb and all of the marinade ingredients (once well-mixed) into a Ziploc bag and kept in in the fridge for two days! (turning it over every now and then) Anyway, great flavor and so so SO tender! A note about cooking times: I had a small-ish 2.5 lb boneless roast (you know, like with all the string and fat and everything) and I cooked it at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 7 mins and it was perfect . .. nice and pink and very juicy! Will be making this again for sure, thanks so much!